Wild Mushrooms!

I have a confession to make, and I can’t hold it in any longer:

I am a mycophage.  But I’m not alone.  You’re probably a mycophage, too.  In fact…most of us are.  If you eat mushrooms, truffles, cheese, beer, yogurt, or bread…you’re a mycophage.  Mycophages eat fungus.

My house backs to a large park, the majority of which is overgrown woods.  And for almost a year, I’ve been diligently searching for wild mushrooms there.  And today, I was finally rewarded!

While taking Oliver for an adventure, I stumbled across a fallen log absolutely loaded down with wild oyster mushrooms.

Now before you all freak out and scream at your computer, “Don’t eat them, Ben, you’ll die!”…NO WORRIES!  Oyster mushrooms are one of the easiest wild mushrooms to identify, and they have NO poisonous look-alikes.  You’ve probably seen them on damp rotting logs in the forest or the park, too.  They grow rampantly all over North America.  And if you follow a few very simple identification steps, you can safely harvest these and eat them:

-A wild oyster has the scent of fresh shellfish…like the ocean.

-It grows ONLY on trees (fallen or upright), not in the dirt.  (Unless there is a log buried just beneath the surface.)

-It can be found throughout the year, but most often in cool, wet periods from fall through spring.

-They vary in color from white to tan to gray, and the “late fall oyster” variety is caramel in color.

-The gills on the underside of the mushroom will be white, cream, or yellow (NOT orange!) The gills actually attach directly to the stem (which you can see in the photo below), and the gills will not be rough or serrated:

Best of all, the wild oyster mushroom has NO toxic look-alikes.  So if you find a mushroom with all the identifying characteristics above, YOU CAN EAT IT!

This patch of wild oysters yielded 3.5 pounds when I got them back to the house.  This could easily set me back $50 or more at the gourmet market, so it’s a GREAT FIND!

Wild oysters are easy and safe to forage, but many other edible mushrooms have poisonous look-alikes, so it’s important to have at least 2 solid field guides when foraging for wild mushrooms.  I recommend Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America by David W. Fischer and Alan E. Bessette and The Complete Mushroom Hunter by Gary Lincoff.

Wild oyster mushrooms have a curious trait.  They are carnivores!  They “eat” insects.  Many insects are lured to the oyster mushroom by its scent.  The insects burrow into the mushroom to eat it…then the mushroom surrounds the insect with new tissue and digests nutrients from it!  For this reason, mature oyster mushrooms from the wild shouldn’t be grilled or sauteed whole, because you may run into a buried beetle!  To prepare wild oysters, first wash them off, then soak them in heavily salted water.  Then slice them up, discarding any slices with “buried” insects in them.  From this point, you can grill, saute, or cook any other way that you wish.  Wild oysters tend to have a fuller flavor than cultivated oysters that you buy in the store, but are not as full flavored as most wild mushrooms like morels, chanterelles, puff balls, or maitake (Hen of the Woods).

Feel free to comment below, and subscribe to my blog for more exciting posts!  (Upper right corner of this page below the header photo.)

19 Responses to Wild Mushrooms!

  1. Wow! That’s good info. I’ve always wanted forage, but am rarely anywhere where I can, and I have no idea what is edible or not.

  2. I am too afraid! Alton Brown talked about how many deadly mushrooms are out there. If I don’t hear from you soon, I’ll assume you found those ones! LOL just kidding I know you know what you’re doing.

  3. I cant wait to hear what you make from this.

  4. My husband gets tons of Matsutake and Chanterelle every year!! Less of the Chanterelle. It is awesome to find your own… they are expensive!!

    • Mmmmm…I’m hoping I find some matsutake here, I’ve heard tell of hundred-pound finds here in North Texas. We have morels in the area, too, and that’s what I’m MOST excited about!

  5. Actually I was thinking “No, Ben, don’t eat them! Mushrooms are gross!” lol

  6. Aren’t there some fairly toxic FAUX morels out there that are hard to distinguish?

    • Some species of false morels are actually quite yummy. But the identifying characteristics of an edible morel are very plain: the interior cavity is completely hollow, and the cap of the mushroom is attached to the stem securely at the bottom. The poisonous look-alikes have a chambered interior cavity, and the cap doesn’t attach to the stem at its base…only near the top. As long as you avoid mushrooms with these characteristics, you’ve got an edible morel!

  7. hey i just began foraging for mushrooms a few months ago, ive inoculated a few oak logs with shiitake spawn and hope to have some fruiting by next spring! anywhoo i stumbled across a fallen log yesterday with oyster mushrooms on it, i brought them to my local farmers market to confirm the species with the mushroom farmers there and i am cooking them tonight, very exciting stuff, and the logs in which you find oysters remember because they will keep fruiting for you for years! happy foraging!

  8. awesome find by the way those are huge!!!!!!

  9. Found some nice oyster mushrooms growing on a dead oak tree. They’re going on the pizza tonight. Gotta go make the dough now! Thanks for the salting tip..not a normal process I would use with mushrooms.

  10. I found clusters that look exactly every picture of oyster mushrooms I can find except 1 little thing. The gills do not continue onto the stem. They are attached to the stem but do not follow onto it. Are you sure there are no look alikes? got pics.

    • Hi, David! There are many dozens of varieties of oyster mushroom. There are also other types of mushrooms in the same family with gills that do not attach to the stem. I would need to see some pics of your mushrooms to tell you whether they are edible oysters or not. You can email them to ben at benstarr dot com and I’m happy to check them out!

  11. found a mess growing in a bale of hay or bedding grass. what about watering? light sprinkling or thorough soak?

    • Edward, if you’re talking about cultivating wild mushrooms whose mycelium have already cultured a bale of hay, you’re in uncharted territory. The mycelium will fruit depending on their natural cycle, while is a delicate balance of humidity/moisture, temperature, and light cycle. You need to identify which mushroom has cultured the hay. That’s your starting point. If you’re interested in cultivating wild mushrooms, I would strongly recommend you get a copy of the book Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms by Paul Stamets.

  12. I was introduced to the Oyster this year and I’ve referred to this site a few times throughout the fall as I’ve collected oysters and just wanted to be sure sure sure. Now feel I’ve got it down. The Oysters in your pictures look HUGE. Here in Vermont, they are much smaller. But super yummy.
    This week I found some Oysters that were tan color, including the gills. I thought perhaps they weren’t oysters because of the gill color, which all the books say are white – yellow, but everything else was right on, especially that delicious SMELL. So I asked an experienced wildcrafter who said the gills can get tan color after a few frosts/freezes, and that as long as they aren’t slimy and don’t smell winey, eat away. Not that you deal with the cold weather we have here, but thought I would share that cool tidbit.
    Happy Thanksgiving and Thanks for this post!